SIMMER DOWN™ ORGANIC 50% DECAF
In Stock & Ready to Roast
For U.K. mainland we operate a free shipping service for all coffee orders over £20, £3.95 for orders under £20. For international shipping please email us for a quote - email@example.com.
WHEN WILL MY ORDER BE DISPATCHED?
We work on all orders in the order that we receive them. Normally we dispatch parcels either the same or next working day. However during very busy periods it may take an extra day or two for your parcel to be dispatched.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any returns. Returns can be made for any unsatisfactory products and full refund given. Please contact us within 5 business days of receiving your purchase to allows us to look into your query. Return cost to be paid for by customer.
If your order becomes damaged in transit, we ask for you to provide photo evidence so we can process the refund through Royal Mail.
FAQ's & Storage
Frequently Asked Questions:
What strength is the coffee?
We advise this coffee to be a strength of 3.5 out of 5. Punchy but not over powering.
Are the beans oily?
No, these beans are not oily, if you have particularly sensitive machine/equipment, these beans should be perfect.
Where to store the coffee?
We recommend storing the coffee in a cool, dark, dry cupboard, before you open them. Once opened, reseal the bag and they can be safely stored in the packaging, and we recommend to consume them within 4 weeks of opening.
How many coffees do the bags serve?
250g - serves 13-15 coffees. 500g - serves 26-30 coffees. 1kg - serves 55-65 coffees. We recommend one kilo bag to serve 2 coffees a day, to last a month.
What's the best before date?
All our coffees are roasted to order, meaning they couldn't be fresher. We advise a best before date of 6 months from the order date.
Why plant trees?
- Restoring animals’ habitats, which, in turn helps increase biodiversity by giving endemic species the chance to thrive
- Removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere by putting it back into the plants and soil, and therefore helping to reduce global warming
- Cleaning the air by removing pollutant gases such as nitrogen oxides, ammonia, sulphur dioxide and ozone by trapping these gases in their leaves and bark
- Restoring local ecosystems that have been destroyed by deforestation or other external factors
- Reducing the impact of flooding and soil erosion, which helps to protect nearby communities and their livelihoods
- Providing an income for tree planters in lower income countries.
Espresso Brew Guide
Brewing espresso is a lot like brewing tea; if we leave our bag in too long we risk over-brewing the tea and extracting “stewed” bitter flavours from the leaves but if we do not leave it long enough our tea risks being weak and insipid. This means we must exert control over our brewing process to ensure that we extract all of the desirable flavour compounds whilst leaving behind the compounds responsible for unwelcome bitterness and astringency. This is easy with a teabag – we can take it out whenever we choose – but achieving the same control with espresso is slightly more complex.
Coffee does not extract homogenously during its brewing cycle. Most extraction occurs during the first third of its brew time. Typically fruit acids and bean fragments that contribute towards body extract first, followed by sugars, and then bitter compounds.
‘DIALLING IN’ OUR ESPRESSO
Understanding your grinder is the key to achieving desirable DOSE and BREW TIME. Whether you are using a modern “on-demand” grinder or a more traditional “dosing grinder” you should be able to control both DOSE and GRIND TEXTURE, both of which are critical to brewing balanced espresso. Here’s how...
Using scales, weigh a consistent dose of ground coffee into your double espresso basket -16g - 18g is a sensible choice for most espresso machines.
Aim for 36-40g of liquid espresso or roughly a ratio of 1:2 (18g of ground espresso to 36g of liquid espresso).
Is it within your target brew time window? We recommend 20 - 30 Seconds.
Yes = SUCCESS!
Your espresso is probably well brewed and should taste full, sweet and balanced.
No = If you haven't extracted 30-40ml of liquid espresso, in 20-30 seconds, your grind is too FINE and your espresso will most likely taste thin, bitter & ashy.
Coarsen your grind slightly then grind and discard at least 20g of coffee to remove traces of the previous grind setting
No = If you have extracted too much liquid espresso (over 30ml for single espresso, over 60ml for double). Your grind is too COARSE and your espresso will most likely be weak and sour.
Make your grind slightly FINER then grind and discard at least 20g of coffee to remove all traces of the previous grind setting
Discover our Simmer Down Decaf 50% Decaffeinated. Rich & Full-bodied, Notes of Chocolate, Vanilla & Caramelised Biscuit. Strength 3.5/5
“Delicious, one of my favourite ones on the market, I’ll certainly be buying again”.
Are you seeking the rich, aromatic pleasure of coffee without the jittery excess of caffeine? Our Low Caffeine Coffee Beans offer the perfect solution, ensuring you embrace the day with a smooth, serene energy.
Why Choose Our Low Caffeine Coffee Beans?
- 💤 Improved Sleep: Enjoy your favorite beverage later in the day without compromising your night’s rest. Our beans are designed for those who value their sleep as much as their coffee.
- 🌿 Natural Processing: Sourced from the finest, sustainably grown coffee plants, our beans undergo a natural process to reduce caffeine, preserving the full-bodied flavour without the usual kick.
- 👫 Perfect for Everyone: Whether you’re a busy professional, a health-conscious individual, or someone looking to cut down on caffeine without giving up on coffee, our beans are your ideal match.
- 🍂 Rich Flavour, Less Caffeine: Savour the deep, enriching taste of coffee in every sip. Our special selection offers a harmonious balance between richness and a low caffeine content.
Our difference? We source directly from the farmers, and not third party importers, so you won't find better tasting, freshly roasted decaf coffee at a better price or we'll refund the difference!
What’s all the fuss about?
We keep the exact origin of this coffee a trade secret! Sourced from the very best corners of deepest, darkest Peru, this coffee is traditionally farmed by hand and produced without the use of pesticides or chemicals.
Situated high in the mountains amongst the most beautiful flora and fauna of the Valley, the coffee beans are firstly fed and washed by pure spring waters and then harvested by the local indigenous Quechua and 'Aymara' speaking families.
This is globally one of the most difficult and logistically challenging of origins, with a hair raising 4 day journey that climbs to almost 5000m to cross the mighty Andes to get this coffee to port - a journey worth every step in our opinion.
These proud families have worked the area for generations in harmony with the land. At the beginning of each season all farmers make an annual ceremony to the earth 'Pachamama' to ask for blessings for the coming season.
Origin: Satipo, Peru
Processing: Washed & Naturally processed co2 Decaf
500g serves roughly 30 coffees, 1kg serves roughly 60 coffees.
Did you know?
Decaf coffee is still packed with antioxidants, magnesium, potassium, and niacin. Only the caffeine molecule is extracted during the decaffeination process.
How we remove the caffeine from our coffee:
- The green coffee beans are soaked/cleaned in water, as the beans expand the pores open up and the caffeine becomes mobile.
- Pressured Carbon Dioxide is introduced, this combined with the present water creates sparkling water. The CO2 acts like a magnet to the caffeine molecules, extracting it from the beans.
- The water is then drained into an evaporator which precipitates the caffeine rich carbon dioxide out of the water.
- This cycle is repeated until the caffeine level is low enough to be classified as decaf.
- The decaffeinated coffee is then gently dried until it reaches its original moisture content and is then ready for roasting.
I ordered this as a few of my friends 'don't do caffein', and I don't like to drink too much in the afternoon and evenings as it does light me up a bit too much and can affect my sleep. This is the best tasting decaff I have found so far with little or no loss of flavour. Using this means I don't have to restrict my love of rich coffee any more.
Love this decaf coffee! Low acidity, creamy, perfect with oat milk. I am having this every day now! I have been looking for low acidity nutty coffee for a while now. And to my minimal knowledge it's about expresso grin, darker roast and none of the fruity tones. What I LOVE about this is that they show the coffee tone chart AND the roast level. Many don't show both, and none show a chart! LOVE IT.
I am so happy with this product, finding a great decaf coffee is such a game changer, tastes amazing and will be definitely ordering more from West Berkshire Roastery.
Our favorite decaf. Perfect for after dinner coffees
As ever super fresh from WBR which, makes for a nice lively extraction; bags of Crema.
I'm not good at flavour notes, but I get almond/marzipan? Tasty anyway.
It's a relatively light roast for espresso, so the challenge as always is getting good enough extraction for a nice balance. For this reason it suits Moka especially well.
EXPERTLY HAND-ROASTED TO ORDER IN WEST BERKSHIRE, & SHIPPED WORLD-WIDE SINCE 2010.